Wednesday 29 April 2009

Cherry Almond Loaf Cake


So, as well as making a batch of caramel shortcake this evening, I decided to attempt my first ever loaf cake. I love anything with cherries and almonds in it so went for Nigella Lawson's Cherry-Almond Loaf cake. I found this really easy to make, although I destroyed my kitchen in the process (there is butter where no person should find butter). I can't tell you how it tastes because Nigella's recipes don't exactly suit a Weight Watchers diet but at least it looks good.

Ingredients
200g glace cherries
250g self raising flour
225g butter, softened
175g caster sugar
3 large eggs, beaten
2-3 drops almond essence
100g ground almonds
6 tablespoons milk

  • Preheat the oven to 170°c. Halve the cherries, wash them, pat them dry and toss them in flour.
  • Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
  • Gradually add the beaten egg and almond essence.
  • Gently fold in flour and ground almonds.
  • Fold in cherries and then the milk.
  • Spoon mixture into loaf tin and bake for 45-60 mins (I found I needed to add an extra 10 minutes).
  • Cool cake on a wire rack

No comments:

Post a Comment