Tuesday 5 May 2009

A Day Off

Last night I had to rush up to the local hospital with my 6 year old son. He has a history of ear problems and had grommets fitted in September. This time there was smelly gunk and blood coming out of his ear. Doctor dismissed it as an ear infection and gave him antibiotics but I'm keeping him off school (and therefore me off Forest School) today just to be on the safe side. I had planned for us to do some baking together to pass the time, but when it came to it he decided that he'd much rather play the Wii while I baked. I started with Nigella's Snickers and Peanut-Butter Muffins (which are featured in this post) and moved onto her Lemon Syrup Cake (which I'll blog about when it's cooled, out of the tin and ready to photograph).

Nigella's Snickers and Peanut-Butter Muffins

Ingredients (makes 12)
250g plain flour
85g caster sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
pinch of salt
160g crunchy peanut butter
60g unsalted butter, melted
1 large egg, beaten
175ml milk
3 x 65g Snickers bars, chopped

Preheat oven to 200c.
Stir together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
Add peanut butter and mix until consistency of course crumbs.
Add melted butter and egg to milk before gradually adding mixture to the flour mix.
Mix in snickers pieces before transferring to muffin cases.
Cook for 20-25 minutes (they're done when the tops are golden and firm to a light touch).
Cool and enjoy.

They tasted fine. My only complaint, and I think this is a totally personal thing, was that there wasn't enough chocolate. I think next time I might try replacing one of the snickers bars with chocolate chips and see where I get with that.In other news, my exciting fabric arrived today. I'm really pleased with it and can't wait to start on the two projects I have up my sleeve. It's been a long time since I did any sewing but I'm hoping that if I take my time and follow instructions (and ask for help when I need it) all will be fine. For those of you who are interested, here's a wee peek at my gorgeous Alexander Henry material.


1 comment:

  1. They look fab love! I'm all about the sewing - with a machine mind you, I'm nowhere neat enough to do much by hand.

    xx

    ReplyDelete