Wednesday 6 May 2009

Lemony goodness

Following on from yesterday's post here is the Lemon Syrup Cake (once again from Nigella Lawson's bank of highly fattening but truly yummy recipes) I made. I was really impressed with how easy this was to make and so glad it turned out well. I took it into work with me today and it as devoured by my colleagues. In fact one person didn't believe I'd made it myself.


Cake:
125g unsalted butter
175g caster sugar
2 large eggs
Zest of 1 lemon
175g self-raising flour
pinch of salt
4 tablespoons milk

Syrup:
Juice of 1 and 1/2 lemons (about 4 tablespoons)
100g of icing sugar

23 x 13 x 7 cm loaf tin, buttered and lined, preheat the oven to 180 degrees or gas mark 4.

Method:

  • Cream the butter and sugar.
  • Add eggs and lemon zest, beat in well.
  • Add the sieved flour and salt, folding in gently but thoroughly.
  • Add the milk, mix in.
  • Spoon into loaf tin and put cake in oven for 45 mins, or until golden and a cake tester comes out clean.
  • About 10 minutes before cake is due to come out of the oven, dissolve the sugar in the lemon juice, over a low heat.
  • As soon as you take the cake out, puncture holes all over the top and pour the syrup on to let it soak in. Make sure there are lots of holes in the top so it doesn't all go down the sides.
  • Wait until it's completely cold to take it out of the tin (otherwise it will crumble into syrupy mush).

2 comments:

  1. That cake ROCKED! I am going to try it with a non-dairy substitute...possibly at the weekend :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I make one of these Nigella Lemon Syrup Cakes for work, I have to make a second one for husband and daughter at same time. I've had to purchase a second loaf tin so that I can bake them together!

    Thanks for popping in to mine.
    WM x

    ReplyDelete