So, as well as making a batch of caramel shortcake this evening, I decided to attempt my first ever loaf cake. I love anything with cherries and almonds in it so went for Nigella Lawson's Cherry-Almond Loaf cake. I found this really easy to make, although I destroyed my kitchen in the process (there is butter where no person should find butter). I can't tell you how it tastes because Nigella's recipes don't exactly suit a Weight Watchers diet but at least it looks good.
200g glace cherries
250g self raising flour
225g butter, softened
175g caster sugar
3 large eggs, beaten
2-3 drops almond essence
100g ground almonds
6 tablespoons milk
- Preheat the oven to 170°c. Halve the cherries, wash them, pat them dry and toss them in flour.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add the beaten egg and almond essence.
- Gently fold in flour and ground almonds.
- Fold in cherries and then the milk.
- Spoon mixture into loaf tin and bake for 45-60 mins (I found I needed to add an extra 10 minutes).
- Cool cake on a wire rack