Tuesday 21 April 2009

Forest School



Every Tuesday I, along with another teacher and a couple of Rangers, take a group of pupils out on Forest School. We go to a local wood and build a fire, cook some food and then attempt to craft things out of the materials which surround us. In weeks gone by we (and when I say we, I mean mostly the pupils) have built tables, benches, a shelter, bows and arrows and have also done some nature inspired art work. A few weeks ago one of the Rangers taught me how to chop down a tree safely and we used the wood to make a surround for the camp fire. Today the Ranger helped a group of 3 pupils make the rather impressive bench you can see in the photo. I was so impressed with it that I thought I would share my rather poor camera phone picture with you. Over the next few weeks we (and by this I mean the pupils and me, yeay) will be making more benches, some tools and learning how to tie pretty knots. Hopefully I will manage to remember to take my camera with me so that I can photograph my crafty exploits.

Slightly off topic but the food today was amazing. I ate the best potato scone I have ever tasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment